Photographs: Start to finish

ContactSheet-001 ContactSheet-002

As you can see above in the original photographs, I had problems with the shadows behind the subjects on the wall, as well as on their faces- around the nose area. Although I did have the three lights on, I could not position them together in unison to achieve a shadowless image. Although I able to fix this problem in photoshop by lassoing the faces/bodies out and copying it onto a new layer, so that I could fill the background with a similar colour to what it would have looked like against a wall, with a black and white filter.

The second set of photographs are exhibit the images with a black and white layer (presents defaulted by photoshop), I have put up to show the difference between the final photographs which I have customised the presets of the black and white layer along with the level and contrasts on the image. My intentions were to play around with customising a filter, and which ever one looked best, I would apply to all the photographs. However, of course when it actually came to editing all the photographs, this was not feasible as all the subjects have different skin tones, hair and eye colours.Therefore the way I anticipated the photographs to look was quite naive, as one filter could not produce a generalised outcome to cater for all the different tones within the image. Another factor that hindered this was the higher intensity of lighting in will (male with curly hair), as although his skin is significantly lighter than the rest of the people, this again highlighted the differences of tones, as the other images have a warmer tone.

The way I tackled this was by lowering the levels just on his face and body, not the background to imitate a soft light look. This did work although it did create contrast between the skin on his chest and his freckles on them, which is not a necessarily negative thing as I do want to present diversity within the people I photograph. However in comparison to the other where there skin looks a lot smoother and even toned, this could look slightly inconsistent in regards to my editing skills.

I also managed to take away the shadows on their faces by using the clone stamp tool, which was a very long and tedious process as it was very simple for it to look extremely unrealistic and over edited. So time and effort was crucial to this part of the editing.

The reason I went for a darker black and white filter was because I felt it highlighted the subjects features better, which I also enhanced by using a low opacity dodge tool to slightly brighten the eyes and the burn tool to darken the lips and eyebrows. I wanted to create images with with strong contrasts eg illuminating their facial features against darker tones, was because I wanted it to reflect the intentions of my project: exposing people (a mixture of contrasting sexual orientations) as humans, framing them in non subjective way, to social constructions around their sexuality.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s